4.8.10

somebody mixed my medicine...

now baby it's all gone...
new guilty pleasure band? The Pretty Reckless. Honestly, it isn't that "guilty" so to say. I only say that because I adore Taylor Momsen on Gossip Girl. I actually really respect her work as an actress, model, and now singer. She's so edgy and not afraid to be herself. For the die-hard old school rock n roll fans maybe her music isn't for you, but I love it. She's only slightly older than I am and I appreciate that she isn't trying to be the perfect little blonde pop-princess. We've got way too many of those nowadays. Current favourite song: Goin' Down.
"Hey there, Father, I don't wanna bother you but I've got a sin to confess, I'm just sixteen if you know what I mean, do you mind if I take off my dress?"
I'm pretty damn excited to finally turn sixteen. It feels like I've been waiting sixteen years. Oh wait...
Last night I splurged a little and bought myself some early birthday presents. Call me a bookworm and I'll take it as a compliment. I bought three books: The Celestine Prophecy, Classy, and Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs. I'm so excited to read them. I skimmed through all the "A Lady" quotations in Classy last night and found that they were SO cute and really inspiring. The book is basically just a modern guide to etiquette for girls. If you're a girl and don't aspire to be your social group's Ke$ha, I would highly recommend checking it out.

Then I started reading The Celestine Prophecy which was highly recommended to me by Caleb Johnson. I only made it through the first two chapters before deciding I was way too exhausted to continue on and actually make any sense of it. I'm not sure if I approve of a lot of the writing style choices, but I'm sure the story will be great. Here's the book's description:
"In the rain forests of Peru, an ancient manuscript as been discovered. Within its pages are 9 key insights into life itself--insights each human being is predicted to grasp sequentially, one insight, then another, as we move toward a completely spiritual culture on Earth."
The cover is classy (hehe) and simple, no pictures or intriguing designs. That type of cover in a bookstore today says one of three things about a book: that the book is extraordinarily boring, the publisher was too cheap to come up with something creative, or the book is so amazing that it can stand on it's own without any visual draw. I'm hoping this one falls into that third category.

Now we come to Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs. It's a pretty well known title, but I just haven't gotten around to reading it yet. If you're interested in pop-culture of any form, this is the book for you. Like Rocky Horror Picture Show? Chuck Klosterman provides a myriad of new goodies over which to obsess.


All right, finished with the books. I also stopped by Blockbuster on my way home and picked up The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. For you select followers who are up to date on my ramblings, you probably are thinking "Oh thank god, it only took MONTHS of you saying you need to see it..." Don't worry, I'm as relieved as you are. I'm just so terrible at seeing movies. I was really skeptical when I popped the disc into my laptop ((I always watch movies on my laptop&plug it into the sound system in my room... so much better than the tv... even if I'm settling for a smaller screen. Worth it.)) and hit play. Fortunately, director Niels Arden Oplev didn't disappoint. I was extraordinarily relieved to find the movie is in Swedish with subtitles. I don't think it would have been nearly as satisfying if they'd made all the characters speak English. I was even satisfied with the casting choices. I'll always prefer my original ideas of the characters that I formed in my mind while reading the books, but the movie was still fantastic. I highly recommend both the movie and the book if you're into suspense and mystery.



On a completely different and utterly cliche note, I feel inclined to give a few shoutouts to awesome people in this post. So here is a list of friends, new acquaintances who will hopefully become better friends, and people I greatly admire:
Sidni Hodgson. Nothing beats spending time with your best friend. Especially dodging through sprinklers in a white t-shirt while attempting to get home. Enough said.
Matthew Burton. Even Classy instructs the proper lady to have at least one "GBF." That's gay best friend. Don't know how I feel about that being a classy requirement, but I don't have to worry about that anyway. Gotta love the fierce Leo's!!
Jeremy Hodges. Did you know that Toys R Us has a red door?! Endless games of truth or truth and mocha cappuccinos with extra mo-KA! Irreplaceable.
Parker Holt. Word to the wise: don't over-rotate while backflipping off the white. Feel better Parker (:
Alicia Murphy. Best friends since 3rd grade. Plus she has my blog bookmarked on her mac. No explanation needed.
Renzo Miera. Just for being super cool and agreeing that Monty Python is the shit. And for being at Spy Hop. It's hard to be at Spy Hop and not be super cool though. Here's to hopefully being better friends in the future (: Thanks for caring enough to read my blog.
Joel Brown. Another awesome Spy Hopper. Hardly know the guy but coffee was awesome anyway. Here's to the future success of his awesome new album-in-process!! And to Bruno. Cause... Sacha Baron Cohen is just fantastic.
Blake Sharette & Caleb Johnson. Those dudes are just too cool. Both for being awesome guitarists and awesome friends in general. But they both owe me a hang out.
But Blake, let's not kid now. I'd be the most badass Disney princess ever. I don't care if they already have an Asian one. I even watch Disney channel to study for my role (;

I know I've left quite a few people off this list but I'll get around to another one sometime or later.
Look into those books and the movie. Really.

audioventus.♥

2 comments:

  1. WOOO Go Maren! Blog is awesome thanks for the shout out!
    ---Renzo

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOOO Go Renzo! You are awesome and deserved the shout out!! (:

    ReplyDelete