8.2.10

what is the purpose?

audio ventus--listen to the wind.
My name is Maren. I'm not going to write an "About Me" here, but you can learn 'about me' through what I say. I'm not trying to force opinions on anyone. I'm not trying to insult anyone or anything. I'm just trying to express my thoughts. Because by releasing thoughts into the open, you never know who may be affected by a random string of words.

I'll start with my day. Skip the irrelevant parts. I went to see the tour of Avenue Q. The musical brings up the topic of finding one's purpose in life. Is there truly a purpose in life? Or are we all just 'mindlessly aiming' about, occasionally stumbling upon a significant event here and there? Is there a predetermined fate we all live under? Or do our decisions determine the course of our lives? The way I look at it, it's all like a road. All roads lead to Rome, but depending on which path you choose, the journey can have a drastically different outcome. You get to the final destination, death or afterlife, eventually, but you are still in control of the manner in which you travel. Don't live in the past, don't live in the future, just live one second of the day at a time. 

Each opportunity is like an egg lying on the ground. Each passing traveler may see the egg differently. One man (or woman, for that matter) may walk up to the egg, reach out, and take it, for personal gain or just out of common sense. He or she may eat the egg, sell it, or save it for later. Although it may have been a spur of the moment decision, he or she now has myriad possible next moves. Another person may see the egg and pause momentarily to debate whether to take the egg or not, and then pass. This person has decided against the opportunity and must now continue on his/her journey until the next opportunity arises. The person has perhaps now lost valuable time. A third person may walk right past the egg without even noticing it, distracted by another force. This  ignorance may have cost the person much happiness in the long run. Only if the person were to reform his or her ways, would he/she be able to benefit from future opportunities. A last person may be so insolent as to see, or not see, the egg and to step on it, crushing the opportunity. This person has not considered the uses for the egg, or had consideration for others who may have found good use for it. They have destroyed an opportunity for another.

We all have our moments of being each type of passerby, and we all seize different opportunities which shape the course of our lives. Recently, I rediscovered hope and the beauty in life. A close friend spoke to me about how you have to find the magnificence in the small things, find happiness in the world. So much can be changed by simply saying, "Okay, I'm going to do it." and then following through. You can't just sit and wait for things to get better because they never will. If you sit on the side of the road, you could wait forever for someone to pass who presents you with an 'egg,' but if you walk toward any specific destination, you increase your chances of happening upon that opportunity. 

So that's pretty much what's on my mind right now. I feel as though this writing makes me sound much more intelligent than I do when I speak. That's the beauty in putting words in a tangible form, you can think them through more thoroughly than when you say them out loud. And if you dislike them, you can simply delete the words before anyone else has to read them. There's so much knowledge in the world, you just have to be looking for it. Listen to the people around you. Listen to the lyrics of a song. Listen to the silence. Listen to the trees. Listen to the wind--it may lead you to something beautiful.♥

1 comment:

  1. hey maren! love this!!! blogs are so fun! i didnt get to see Avenue Q... TOTALLY jealous. the egg thing was so deep! and i never thought about it that way... interesting. i like. check out my blog if you want... www.vitaminwaternirvana.blogspot.com!

    ReplyDelete